Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Right place, right time.

As we live on a ravine, we back onto Gibsons Creek, we have many 100 foot or higher trees behind the house, so in the fall and winter, they drop branches.

So, glass for the roof is out of the question, and my research has led me to the conclusion that the best possible product is 6mm or 8mm twin wall polycarbonate sheet. I asked for a quote from a local supplier and he came back with $312.48 for 8mm including delivery. Probably $250 for 6mm.

Today, at Gibsons Recycling Depot, I was on my morning grubbing session and finding plastic guttering for the rain barrel part of the greenhouse. I noticed one of the guys bring in a bunch of 4' x 6' panels of translucent coroplast 6mm twin wall.  I asked how much and they said $2.00 a sheet. So, I bought eight of them, which is more than enough for the roof panels phase.

Oddly enough, my research shows that translucent is just as good as clear for a greenhouse roof and it diffuses the sunlight, so all is good. The plastic guttering cost another $4.00 so the spreadsheet is now up to $94.33 for the current materials.

Time to calculate some truss dimensions....

No comments: